Tuesday 17 July 2012

The bottom's too close to the top or Morgana the rescue boat!

I was feeling a bit better this morning and after a bit of dithering decided we would head up the Marple Flight. Just before we were leaving Phoebe, a Black Prince hire boat passed us so we knew we would be following them up the flight with all the locks against us. We paused on the aqueduct for a chat with a BW chap who we have seen a few times on our adventures across the Huddersfield then onward to the bottom of the flight.

When we got to the bottom of the flight we found the pounds were incredibly low and Phoebe was still in the first lock unable to go anywhere. The bottom was definitely too close to the top!  I had seen a BW van parked just before the first lock so I walked back to let them know there was a problem and to make sure it was OK for us to let water down so we could get through the locks. No problem.

Thankfully Phoebe had plenty of crew so they started letting water down and we eventually got them on their way, albeit slowly. We decided that initially Ray would take the tiller so he got Morgana into the first lock. I was waiting for Phoebe to clear the second lock before I filled ours so I could let the water down for the second to fill the first. While I was waiting Hadar arrived at the bottom of the flight and a lady I now know to be Jo walked up. I explained the problem to her and said it would be a slow journey up the flight.

We continued slowly on our way and by the time we reached the sixth lock I was struggling a bit for breath so we switched roles with me on the tiller. I have to wonder at the priorities of expenditure when the lock gates leak so much some of the locks take forever to fill but there are nice new picnic tables canalside. It is probable that they have been paid for by the local canal society or council as happens on the Shroppie but I just wanted to whinge!


Leaky lock with nice new picnic tables
 At the seventh lock we caught up with Phoebe, she had drifted to the offside of the pound and was aground. Jo from Hadar was there having decided to stay at the bottom of the lock flight until tomorrow. I then performed my first heroic rescue of the day. Ray onboard with me to handle the ropes,nose towards the nearside bank, reverse to take Merlin towards Phoebe, Ray got Phoebe's rope and fastened it to Morgana's stern. Forward gear, gently take the strain and Phoebe was following me nicely. After a slight panic because Phoebe's stern was drifting round towards the mud again we dropped the tow and I headed into the lock, thinking that Phoebe was safely close to the nearside bank. Jo managed to take photo's of all this. So I am now immortalised on her blog.

Phoebe's crew started to fill the lock for me and Ray climbed the lock ladder to assist. All of a sudden the top paddles were closed and the bottom ones opened to take me back down. Phoebe was again aground! So I reversed out of the lock, not easy with Merlin on tow and again hitched Phoebe up. This time my intention was to manoeuvre Phoebe alongside Merlin and slingshot her into the lock, it would have worked except that it transpired there was a problem with forward movement. Ray and I simultaneously diagnosed rubbish round the propeller so we manoeuvred her to the bank instead. Ray stayed with Phoebe and help get her secured while some of Phoebe's crew got me up the lock.

Ray volunteered to help them with clearing their prop so he was soon stripped and ready for action, trusty knife in hand. He cleared two carrier bags full of plastic bags, t-shirts and other rubbish from their prop. No wonder they had problems! They now all think we are wonderful, we think we just did a good turn like anyone would!

The second half of the flight went a lot quicker and easier than the first and about seven hours after leaving our moorings we moored up at the top of the flight. I had expected it to take us no more than four and a half hours! Tomorrow's weather forecast is rubbish so a day at Marple looks to be the plan.

Today's journey 1.7 miles and 16 locks

So far this year we have travelled 475.2 miles, 382 locks, 43 swing bridges, 3 lift bridges and 18 tunnels



In 2011 we travelled 461.4 miles, 444 locks, 3 swing bridges, 34 lift bridges and 15 tunnels


During 2010 we travelled 740.3 miles, 642 locks, 53 swing bridges, 4 lift bridges and 25 tunnels


Since Ray retired we have travelled 1676.9 miles 1468 locks, 99 swing bridges, 41 lift bridges and 58 tunnels

No comments:

Post a Comment