Thursday 5 July 2012

I realised as I started to do today's blog that I hadn't done the "story so far" mileages on yesterday's so I've amended that.


Standedge Tunnel West Portal
 We didn't make a very early start this morning but decided we would make some progress today. Ray seems quite taken with the idea of doing the locks so I was steerer today. Now the Huddersfield Canal is unusual, normally the numbering of locks starts at one end and continues through to the other. Not on the Huddersfield, here the locks are numbered 1 to 42 east on the Yorkshire side of Standedge Tunnel and then 32 to 1 west going down on the Lancashire, or should I say Greater Manchester, side. I blame the War of the Roses myself!

The first few locks only have single gates both top and bottom which is unusual, Ray found a couple of them a bit heavy but most were OK. We got lots of waves from a party of school children who were obviously on a canal visit. At lock 25W we met the first of two boats coming up, that were going through the tunnel tomorrow. Then at 24W we met the couple off of the second boat that was going through tomorrow, they had taken a stroll and were on their way back to get their boat and start their ascent.

We stopped at the services below 24W for water and to empty the loo then we carried on towards Uppermill, our intended overnight stop. I got off at the bridge before 23W to set the lock as Ray was rolling a ciggie. The top gate at this one was hard to shift but a very kind passing policeman lent me a hand. They say you know you are getting old when policemen look young but this one looked barely old enough to be in the sixth form!! We had a bit of a chat as he had enjoyed a few boating holidays.

When Morgana was in the lock I took back over on the tiller. Exiting the lock was interesting as initially you are heading straight at a pillar of the Saddleworth Viaduct and of course you can't turn as the rest of the boat is still in the lock. Once the boat is far enough out of the lock to turn you skim past the pillar and then have to straighten up ready for the next lock. A bit like the chicane on the Monaco Grand Prix circuit, but much slower. Unfortunately I couldn't get a photo as I exited, I was a bit occupied!! This gives you a bit of an idea.




Saddleworth Viaduct from inside Lock 23W

At the next lock, our last of the day, we met the Pennine Moonaker, a trip boat with a load of school children on board, I'm not sure if they were the same ones that we had met earlier. They were just going up to 24W winding and coming back to Uppermill. The lady from Pennine Moonraker gave Ray a hand with the lock gate as it was another heavy one. He stayed to give her a hand with the bottom gates while I slowly cruised on towards the moorings at Uppermill waiting for him to catch up with me and meeting Mi Amigo, the other boat going through the tunnel tomorrow, on the way.

Once we had moored we realised that my windlass was missing! I had been so busy chatting to the young policeman that I had managed to leave it behind. Ray walked back hoping that it was still there. Luckily the lady on Pennine Moonraker had seen it, realised it must be ours, picked it up and was bringing it back down to us. Ray hitched a ride back with them so didn't have to walk all the way. That is the first time in eight years that I've managed to leave a windlass behind.

We have seen some headlines that threaten two months rain over the next three days, with more flooding,  so we think we will probably just move down into the next pound which is more cat-friendly and then stay there for the weekend.


Today's journey 1.7 miles and 11 locks
 
So far this year we have travelled 459.9 miles, 345 locks, 43 swing bridges, 2 lift bridges and 14 tunnels


In 2011 we travelled 461.4 miles, 444 locks, 3 swing bridges, 34 lift bridges and 15 tunnels

During 2010 we travelled 740.3 miles, 642 locks, 53 swing bridges, 4 lift bridges and 25 tunnels


Since Ray retired we have travelled 1661.6 miles 1431 locks, 99 swing bridges, 40 lift bridges and 54 tunnels





No comments:

Post a Comment