Tuesday 3 July 2012

At the tunnel mouth, at last

This morning I was woken very early, just after six, by the sound of paddlegear being wound. Far to enthusiastic for my liking. We were told yesterday that the repairs would definitely be finished so we made an early start as we had eighteen locks to negotiate,We agreed to split the journey with me steering and Ray working the locks for the first nine and then switching thing around for the second nine.

My half of the journey at the tiller went fairly well, there was one lock where a bank of silt had built up across the lock entrance about two foot below the surface which made getting into the lock interesting but by taking it slowly I managed to get in. We met the first couple of boats that were descending the flight just as I was about to hand over to Ray. Then everything went wrong!

We had just ascended lock 33E when a walker alerted us to the fact that there was no water above the next lock. I walked up to find Freedom, with Sue on board in the lock with nowhere  to go. John had cycled up to see what the situation was. We had a chat and I phoned CART for assistance as there was another boat waiting to descend in lock 36E. We were assured they would send someone out. While we were waiting John and the crew of the descending boat let some water down but not enough to get the boats through. While this was happening lock 34E, which Sue was in, was leaking so badly that she was going down in the lock. We managed to get Freedom out of 34E and into 35E and Morgana into 34E. Assistance now arrived, initially two chaps but eventually six. They let water down from the top so that we could all get on our way but it was a slow job as the empty pounds had to be refilled. By this time Lytham Green had caught up with us as well so there we three boats going up and one down. It took six hours to get through the first twelve locks of the day, up to 36E and about and hour and a half to get through the remaining six. Most of the time had been getting through the three locks from 34E to 36E.

Not enough water to float my boat!

Ray was sulking because he had done all the work for the first nine and I had very little to do on the second nine because of all the help we had. We moored for a short time on the visitors moorings at Marsden so we could go to the shops then we moved onto the tunnel moorings. Ray spent some time yesterday clearing the roof of wood etc and then this evening he moved my plant pots off ready to go through the tunnel.
Standedge Tunnel East Portal


Both Gordon and an anonymous reader of the blog have told me that the 'Local Shop' was actually in The League of Gentlemen and my anonymous reader has told me it was actually filmed at Marsden! Apologies to all locals, I was only joking about the local canal, in spite of everything I have enjoyed the first half of the Huddersfield! Please don't take offence and retaliate by sinking my boat! Well, I do want to be able to come back here though I'll let you know tomorrow whether we would attempt the tunnel again!

Today's journey 2.8 miles and 18 locks

So far this year we have travelled 454.9 miles, 334 locks, 43 swing bridges, 2 lift bridges and 13 tunnels



In 2011 we travelled 461.4 miles, 444 locks, 3 swing bridges, 34 lift bridges and 15 tunnels


During 2010 we travelled 740.3 miles, 642 locks, 53 swing bridges, 4 lift bridges and 25 tunnels


Since Ray retired we have travelled 1656.6 miles 1420 locks, 99 swing bridges, 40 lift bridges and 53 tunnels

No comments:

Post a Comment