Tuesday 23 October 2012

Nottingham

We are back in Nottingham after nearly six years.Last time we did the journey between Sawley and Nottingham it was upsteam with Destiny, our previous boat, fighting to battle the current with the river almost in flood. Yesterday's journey downstream was a joy compared to that even though it was raining part of the time.According to Ray's handheld GPS device we managed over six mph at one point! I had forgotten how uninspiring the route into Nottingham is once you reach Beeston, very industrial.

We spent Sunday at Sawley and got the washing done as I always have reservations about city centre moorings at the weekend. I've been busy creating more Yule/Christmas decorations,a scarf which is colourful enough to cheer up the greyest day and starting another rag rug. Photos to follow! I went into the city centre shops today, much is the same as it was when we left. I spent a bit of money in The Bead Shop, not a lot as it isn't long since I went to Spellbound and bought some glittery gold fabric off the market. I have an idea for a 'starry night' theme rag rug and wanted something to add into make it sparkle a bit.

Even though I was very warm walking around today I have decided it must be autumn as we have had homemade soup three times in the past week and my stockpot is bubbling on the stove. Tomorrow will be stock-up day and then we will head back upstream on Thursday.


Yesterday's journey 9.4 miles and 3 locks

So far this year we have travelled 744.2 miles, 591 locks,  50 swing bridges, 23 lift bridges and 27 tunnels

In 2011 we travelled 461.4 miles, 444 locks, 3 swing bridges, 34 lift bridges and 15 tunnels

During 2010 we travelled 740.3 miles, 642 locks, 53 swing bridges, 4 lift bridges and 25 tunnels

Since Ray retired we have travelled 1945.9 miles, 1681 locks, 106 swing bridges, 61 lift bridges and 67 tunnels


No comments:

Post a Comment