Saturday 25 September 2010

Almost the end of summer

Yesterday I took a trip into Birmingham. The city center is much like any other city with the exception that it has an excellent market, or rather markets. If I hadn't had to carry stuff on the train I could have stocked up on food very cheaply. I did find a really good herb stall that sold both cooking and medicinal herbs so I spent a bit there. The Birmingham Bead Shop has a good selection at reasonable prices too.

I didn't manage to make it to the Jewellery Quarter, which is probably just as well as money is a bit tight at the moment. I had a good day and Ray enjoyed a lazy day on board.

Today we did the long haul from Bournville to Wolverhampton, slow going as there are a lot of moored boats in the centre of Birmingham. There are also a lot of places where the canal narrows as if you are going through a lock but with no change of level. I will have to do some investigating, they might have been toll houses or loading places in the past.

We took a slight detour at Wolverhampton to moor at the disused Bentley Arm so that we weren't right in the center. Tomorrow we will head down the twenty-one and that will be our real travelling over for this year. Kathy, Scott and Kaia are going to walk up to meet us in the morning and help us down through the locks.

Today's journey 18.7 miles, 3 locks and 3 tunnels


So far we have travelled 717.6 miles, 620 locks, 53 swing bridges, 4 lift bridges and 24 tunnels.

No comments:

Post a Comment