Tuesday 13 April 2010

A short hop

Only a short journey today as far as Weedon as we needed bread and milk.

It is surprising the difference a couple of weeks makes. When we left the Grand Union for the Northamton Arm and the Nene there weren't that many people travelling. Today we must been passed by at least half a dozen boats while we were still moored this morning and met another eight or more on our short journey. We even encountered four hire boats, summer must be coming.

I really must get in the habit of taking my camera with me even when I just go to the shops. I knew there had been a Royal Ordnance Depot at Weedon Bec, but I didn't realise it still existed. The canal branch that served it is still in place within the depot, as is the portcullis but the connection to the main canal no longer exists. I knew about Weedon because it is one of the possible birthplaces for Ray's great great grandfather who doesn't seem to know where he was born as each census has a different place and I haven't found a baptism for him in any of them. Anyway it was a missed photo opportunity.


Today's journey 5.8 miles.
So far we have travelled 116.3 miles, 140 locks, 3 swing bridges, 1 lift bridge and 1 tunnel.

No comments:

Post a Comment