Saturday 21 July 2012

The end of the line

Yesterday was a "stay put" day so this morning we decided to make our way to the end of the canal.

I had an experience today which, thankfully, doesn't happen very often. We made our way down towards Whaley Bridge and because I knew that part of the visitor's moorings there were closed due to the collapse of the canal bank I decided to stop a little before the junction and walk to the shops from there. As we stopped a gentleman (I use the term loosely) stuck his head over his garden gate on the offside of the canal and informed us "It's a bit shallow there", there was something in his tone that told me this was not just a polite bit of helpful advice. "That's OK" says Ray "we've shallow draft".

Now I consider myself to be a considerate moorer, I don't generally moor outside people's houses or gardens when they are on the towpath side and I try to avoid mooring opposite peoples gardens especially if it is obvious they make use of their waterfront location. This garden was completely screened from the canal and didn't appear to have a patio or seating area near the water, anyway I only stopping for a couple of hours to go shopping.

"There's more space the other side of the bridge and it's deeper" called the householder. At this point Ray, who had obviously come to the same conclusion as me, called back "What you are trying to say is you don't want us moored here!". The gentleman replied "That's right". At this point I was tempted to exercise my right to moor anywhere on the towpath side for up to fourteen days. However I just ignored him, moored and went shopping. The irony of it was that he had a sign on his fence advertising a studio where "Local Canal Scenes" were available. Very much a case of not in my back yard!

He was elderly but the canal has been there longer than him. I will give him the benefit of the doubt perhaps he has had experience of noisy, inconsiderate moorers in the past but I do hate it when people make judgements without knowing me. I wasn't doing him any harm, I wasn't spoiling his view or interfering with his enjoyment of his garden.

Anyway, rant over! We walked into Whaley Bridge, without spotting anywhere else we could have moored and did our shopping. I was tempted to sit with the engine running when we got back but his wasn't the only house so we moved on to Buxworth (Bugsworth) Basin where we are now moored.

Tomorrow we will go exploring to see if there is anywhere for the grandkids to play as we are expecting visitors on Tuesday. The mooring here is much more visitor friendly than Marple and there is a pub but Marple does have a park. Location of the family picnic still to be decided.

Today's journey 1.6 miles and 1 swing bridge

So far this year we have travelled 481.2 miles, 382 locks, 45 swing bridges, 5 lift bridges and 18 tunnels



In 2011 we travelled 461.4 miles, 444 locks, 3 swing bridges, 34 lift bridges and 15 tunnels


During 2010 we travelled 740.3 miles, 642 locks, 53 swing bridges, 4 lift bridges and 25 tunnels


Since Ray retired we have travelled 1682.9 miles 1468 locks, 101 swing bridges, 43 lift bridges and 58 tunnels

No comments:

Post a Comment