Sunday 29 July 2012

Normal summer weather has been resumed

After a rather late night on Friday/Saturday morning we decided to take a day off yesterday.

In the main I enjoyed the Olympic opening ceremony, is it just me or is it time Sir Paul retired. I'm tone deaf but he sounded dodgy even to me! I had hoped to see the first British medal of the games in the men's road race but it wasn't to be, however the girls have now got us one silver and one bronze so we're off the mark.

Today we travelled the relatively short distance to Hall Green Lock, I didn't want to go past there as we are in new territory for us once we get on the Trent and Mersey there are lots of locks and I'm not sure about mooring spots. Although we started in pleasant weather that soon changed and at one point we sheltered under a bridge because it was raining so hard. I'm sure that the reeds along the Macc were not as intrusive two years ago, I don't want to see manicured lawn  towpaths and margins but can we have a compromise, not everyone wants to moor on the official moorings. There are spots I know I took photos from last time along here where I wouldn't be able to see over the undergrowth now.

On the subject of things looking the worse for wear it is time 'Heritage Narrowboats' got themselves a new Union flag, to fly one that is so tattered that only half of it remains is downright disrespectful. It doesn't create a very good impression of their business either.

The weather forecast for the next week is not promising, cooler and more rain with so fairly strong gusts of wind, although it does seem to improve as we head further west.


Today's journey 7.7 miles

So far this year we have travelled 512.8 miles, 394 locks, 49 swing bridges, 7 lift bridges and 18 tunnels



In 2011 we travelled 461.4 miles, 444 locks, 3 swing bridges, 34 lift bridges and 15 tunnels


During 2010 we travelled 740.3 miles, 642 locks, 53 swing bridges, 4 lift bridges and 25 tunnels


Since Ray retired we have travelled 1704.5 miles 1480 locks, 105 swing bridges, 45 lift bridges and 58 tunnels

No comments:

Post a Comment