Thursday 11 June 2015

Autherley Junction

Yesterday we made our way down the Wolverhampton 21, the broken paddle on the tailgate of the top lock still isn't fixed. It seems as if it has been broken forever but that's a bit of an exaggeration. We had a good journey down with no delays, a few boats coming up so that meant locks in our favour, nothing round the prop, didn't even have to clean the weed filter. I harvested some plantain on the way down to make a tincture for the winter, it is a good expectorant so that's one thing ready for the cold season. Most of the elderflower is still not quite ready, I'm all prepared to make champagne, cordial and an experimental elderflower and lime vodka, just need the elderflowers.

I did have an exciting moment when I made the turn at Autherley Junction, the wind was blowing straight down the cut and although I took this into consideration and turned slightly early once I was broadside to the wind I was in danger of being carried past the junction. I stuck Morgana's nose into the bridge hole and ended up turning into the Shroppie from virtually the opposite direction! Oh well, I made the turn that's what counts.

We indulgently treated ourselves to ice creams from the boatyard and then moored for lunch. We could have travelled much further if Ray hadn't had a hospital appointment today. I think the warmer weather suits me, my joints aren't giving me as much pain as they were. I even managed the walk to the shops after all those locks.

Ray is at the hospital at the moment and it will probably be too late when he gets back to think of moving today so tomorrow it will be full steam ahead towards Middlewich.

Yesterday's journey 2.6 miles and 22 locks

This year we have traveled  193.8 miles, 200 locks, 3 swing bridges and 7 tunnels

In 2014 we traveled 425 miles, 334 locks, 2 swing bridges,17 lift bridges and 23 tunnels

In 2013 we traveled 459.1 miles, 434 locks, 7 swing bridges, 15 lift bridges and 31 tunnels

In 2012 we traveled 876.9 miles, 675 locks,  55 swing bridges, 22 lift bridges and 31 tunnels

In 2011 we traveled 461.4 miles, 444 locks, 3 swing bridges, 34 lift bridges and 15 tunnels

During 2010 we traveled 740.3 miles, 642 locks, 53 swing bridges, 4 lift bridges and 25 tunnels

Since Ray retired we have traveled 3145.9 miles, 2729 locks, 121 swing bridges, 92 lift bridges and 132 tunnels



No comments:

Post a Comment