Friday 2 September 2011

An interesting meeting

We have had a couple of 'cruise-free' days and enjoyed a visit from Mandy, Tony, Mikey and Dani. We went for a picnic, played games in the park then went for a meal at the pub, a good time was had by all! This morning I woke up feeling a bit achy but that isn't that unusual.

We paid a brief visit to the craft centre and then decided to head for the top of the Lapworth Locks. It wasn't very far but we plan to work our way through the locks tomorrow. I did my good deed for the day at the first of the two lift bridges as having lifted the bridge three other boats went through saving them some work. The favour was returned at the second bridge when one of the other boats worked the bridge and we cruised straight through. We moored just short of Lapworth Top Lock and wandered back to chat to the chap on 'Warwick' who sells fenders and other boat bits, I treated us to another mooring hook which I have been intending to buy for ages.

As it was a sunny afternoon we decided to take a walk down part of the flight, just for a stroll to buy an ice cream.

Moored by the top lock was a narrowboat called Nanshe, noteworthy because that was Morgana's name before we renamed her. I didn't think much more of it at the time. When we got back Nimue had managed to get herself into the garden on the offside of the canal so Ray coaxed her back to the lock so she could get back to our side. After a coffee Ray went to pick some sloes we had seen and I went to relax to ease my aches. As I lay on the bed reading there was a knock on the boat. I emerged to be greeted by a pleasant couple who said "You must be Lez". I did a bit of a double take and they explain that they were Clive and Helen,(hope I remembered the names right) the second owners of Morgana, when she was Nanshe, and that  Jill Sweeney the third owner had been following our blog and told them we were here.

We had a nice chat, they are the owner's of Nanshe that is moored near the lock and had seen Gwynie in their garden, I think the cats must recognise boat lovers. It is nice to know that Morgana's former owner's still care about her, I have always felt she was a cherished boat and obviously she was (and still is).

Tomorrow it will be time to get to grips with all those locks!

Today's journey 3.9 miles and 2 lift bridges


So far this year we have travelled 324.9 miles, 228 locks, 34 lift bridges and 12 tunnels.


Since Ray retired we have travelled 1060.6 miles, 873 locks, 55 swing bridges, 38 lift bridges and 37 tunnels

No comments:

Post a Comment