Thursday 4 August 2011

Damson Jam

The weather this morning was decidedly unpleasant for cruising so I took the time to make about three pounds of damson jam. I would have made more but I didn't have any more sugar. At the moment I have only tasted it warm, but it tastes delicious!! I'm looking forward to toast and jam for breakfast tomorrow.

Around three this afternoon the weather cheered up and we decided to do the short journey up through the last two Audlem locks and then the five locks at Adderley. It took us nearly an hour to gather up the three cats, they weren't happy that we had decided to cruise so late in the day and wanted carry on catching mice. There was just enough traffic on the canal to mean that I had help at most of the locks from the crew of a boat coming down which speeded things up.

When we reached the top lock at Adderley I couldn't resist buying a couple of slices of cake from the farm shop there, they display their goods beside the lock with an honesty box. I've had cake from them before and it is really tasty.

We decided to moor at Adderley for the night and carry on to Market Drayton tomorrow. We have plans to see Barry and Alex this weekend and Market Drayton is as good a place as any to meet them.

Today's journey 1.6 miles and 7 locks


So far this year we have travelled 242 miles, 174 locks, 31 lift bridges and 6 tunnels

Since Ray retired we have travelled  980.4 miles, 819 locks, 55 swing bridges, 35 lift bridges and 31 tunnels

No comments:

Post a Comment