Thursday 20 June 2013

Celebrating!!!

Today's post covers two days and here is the reason why

Eleanor Faith Jones born yesterday
Huge congratulations to Keith and Leesa. She was born two and a half weeks early, a little light but all is well. I couldn't say anything yesterday until the proud parents had made their own announcements. I can't wait to see her.

After a fairly early morning phone call we had a lovely day cruising in the sunshine.We continued up the Oxford Canal to Hawkesbury Junction and onto the Coventry Canal. The brambles around the junction have the biggest flowers I have ever seen, I wonder if the fruit is equally big ? We have also noticed that there seem to be loads of moorhen chicks around this year, I don't think I've ever seen so many. At one point on our journey we heard a muffled bang, a bit like a distant shotgun or a crow scarer then when I went into the boat this is what I found.

Bye, bye ginger beer !!

Now the thing with homemade ginger beer is it carries on brewing in the bottle so you have to unscrew the cap every day to release the pressure. This morning I was a little distracted after my early morning news and forgot! A litre and a half of ginger beer all over the carpet, the couch and probably other places I haven't found yet. What a waste, I bet the cats jumped !!

We moored for the night just north of Bedworth and then continued to Atherstone today. So sad, we saw two sunken boats today. The rain held off until we reached the locks at Atherstone then it started and got progressively heavier. After five locks I'd had enough and we moored in the long pound beyond the A5 bridge. We will probably be here for the weekend as the weather forecast isn't very encouraging. I'm sure lots of things have happened over the past couple of days but my brain has turned to 'new grandma' mush. 

I've just realised that our last lock today was our 2000th since Ray retired !

Yesterday and today's journeys 23.3 miles, 6 locks and 1 swing bridge

This year we have travelled 275.7 miles, 239 locks, 6 swing bridges, 13 lift bridges and 2 tunnels

In 2012 we travelled 876.9 miles, 675 locks,  55 swing bridges, 23 lift bridges and 31 tunnels

In 2011 we travelled 461.4 miles, 444 locks, 3 swing bridges, 34 lift bridges and 15 tunnels

During 2010 we travelled 740.3 miles, 642 locks, 53 swing bridges, 4 lift bridges and 25 tunnels

Since Ray retired we have travelled 2354.3 miles, 2000 locks, 117 swing bridges, 74 lift bridges and 73 tunnels

1 comment:

  1. Congrats!

    Re beer pressure I use (and reuse) coopers 500ml brewing bottles for my home brew cos they are double skinned to take the extra pressure :-)

    ReplyDelete