Thursday, 21 June 2012

More rain!

We delayed our departure from Stanley Ferry until Wednesday morning, we had a good TV signal there and Ray wanted to be sure of seeing the England match on Tuesday night.

Wednesday morning dawned fair so we continued our journey, the water levels on the Calder were still high but the current wasn't too bad. We made maximum use of Fall Ing lock, the last of the large locks, four boats in, five if you include Merlin. After that we moored at Wakefield and headed for Sainsburys. Once we were stocked up with provisions for the next week we made the two mile trip back onto a canal section so that we weren't caught on the river if the weather forecast was right. Even though the locks officially are only big enough for boats 58 feet long and we are over 62 feet so far we haven't had any problems, if we find any that are a bit short we will have to breast Merlin up again.

We moored up last night near Horbury Bridge. We haven't moved today as the weather has been awful, torrential rain was forecast and that was what we got. I won't be at all surprised if Friday, yet again, brings a closure of the Calder and Hebble navigation. I phoned BW today to check that us towing Merlin wasn't going to be a problem for passage through the Standedge Tunnel, the good news is no problem! I haven't booked our passage through yet in case the river is closed again but hopefully we will go through the week after next.

Yesterday's journey 6.5 miles and 5 locks

So far this year we have travelled 434.6 miles, 274 locks, 42 swing bridges, 1 lift bridge and 11 tunnels

In 2011 we travelled 461.4 miles, 444 locks, 3 swing bridges, 34 lift bridges and 15 tunnels

During 2010 we travelled 740.3 miles, 642 locks, 53 swing bridges, 4 lift bridges and 25 tunnels

Since Ray retired we have travelled 1636.3 miles, 1360 locks, 99 swing bridges, 39 lift bridges and 51 tunnels

No comments:

Post a Comment