Friday 28 October 2011

We're Back!!

After one year, seven months and thirteen days we are back where we started!

Well, not quite actually because we started from Cassiobridge Lock near Croxley and we have stopped at Grove Mill which is four locks and about two miles from there but this is one of our favourite spots so we are stopping here for now.

We had a leisurely cruise down from Kings Langley to here. I nearly stole a lock from a wide-beam, when the lock is against us I always check for incoming boats and if there is a bend I can't see round I watch the water for any sign of movement. The problem was that is was so sunny I couldn't see anything except the glare off of the water. I was just starting to fill the lock when they appear round the bend so I quickly dropped the paddles and let the small amount of water out of the lock. At least it meant I had help opening the top gate which was much appreciated as that particular one is very heavy.

When we had almost reached The Grove we started to wonder if we would get moored as there seem to be more moored boats than we remembered but we got 'our' spot opposite the weir at the mill.

We have already seen some of our old acquaintances, Dave with his terracotta (red oxide primer) coloured boat and Dawn and her sister on Green Howard, also the chap who owns the plot of land next to the mill, it is still for sale so I can still hope for a lottery win!

Today's journey 3.5 miles and 6 locks


So far this year we have travelled 454.2 miles, 433 locks, 3 swing bridges, 34 lift bridges and 15 tunnels


Since Ray retired we have travelled 1184.9 miles, 1082 locks, 58 swing bridges, 38 lift bridges and 40 tunnels

No comments:

Post a Comment