Tuesday 27 September 2011

Ever southwards

The wonderful Indian summer continues, where was this weather in July? I'm not complaining, I can enjoy it as much now as I would have then.

After months of not seeing a 'coal' boat we have seen two in the past four days, The Grand Union seems much better served than most canals. We bought a gas cylinder and a bag of coal before we moved off this morning. The coal seems redundant with temperatures in the mid twenties but as it is nearly October I thought we should start building up our stock. I don't suppose it will be that long before I want a fire that will stay in overnight.

Today was a beautiful day for cruising and we enjoyed a short cruise down to Gayton, stopping about a mile short of the junction with the Virgin trains for company. We enjoyed an afternoon sitting out on the towpath just chilling.

Today's journey 6 miles

This year we have travelled 400 miles, 371 locks, 34 lift bridges and 14 tunnels

Since Ray retired we have travelled 1130.7 miles, 1018 locks, 55 swing bridges, 38 lift bridges and 39 tunnels

No comments:

Post a Comment